National Preparedness Month
Will you be ready when disaster strikes? SERVPRO ready for whatever happens.
- Access alerts and warnings – Receiving timely information about weather conditions or other emergency events can make all the difference in knowing when to take action to be safe. Downloading weather apps, following local news stations on social media or watching them on television is a fast way to stay updated on the emergency and will help your family decide what your next action should be.
- Assembly or update supplies – Like some of us have already experienced, an emergency may knock out power. Prepare by stocking non-perishable food items and water, as well as any type of batteries or chargers you may need.
- Create your family emergency communication plan – Make a list of contact information for your family and other important people/offices, such as medical facilities, doctors, schools or service providers. Decide on safe, familiar places where your family can go for protection in any type of emergency, for both indoor and outdoor.
- Document and insure your property – Whether it be weather related (flood and tornado), fire or water damage, having a detailed inventory of your property’s contents will assist you if a disaster strikes. Your inventory will help you prove the value of what you owned, which could speed your claim processing, and will provide documentation for tax deductions you can claim for your losses – it can also determine the correct amount of insurance to purchase. It is important to review your policy annually to remind yourself of your coverage and to make any updates based on new purchases, renovations, increases in property value or increases in costs to rebuild or replace items.
- Protect your critical documents – Think about the documents you would need to identify yourself and your household members, including children and pets, your relationships or status. Store paper copies in a waterproof and fireproof box, safe or bank deposit box. Secure electronic copies with strong passwords and save them on a flash or external hard drive in your waterproof box or safe. Keep your policy number, insurance professional/company phone number and claim filing instructions in a secure, convenient location.
Remember your safety this month and every month, and contact your local SERVPRO at 912.764.9542 if you have any emergency service needs.